Gregory William Rooney was a legal practitioner for 14 years and is now practising full time as a mediator and an arbitrator. Since November 1991 he has conducted in access of 1,000 mediations in a variety of jurisdictions including the Queensland Department of Primary Industry, Queensland Treasury, New South Wales Department of Fair Trading Strata Schemes Commissioner, The South Australian Department of Health, the New South Wales Department of Health North Coast Community Housing Co-operative, and the Health Insurance Commission.
He was appointed in 2002 as a mediator and in 2003 as an arbitrator with the New South Wales Workers Compensation Commission. During his eight years with the Commission he dealt with 1,040 separate compensation claims of which the vast majority were resolved. His experience as an arbitrator with the Workers Compensation Commission of New South Wales is evidence of his ability to conduct proceedings, take evidence and make properly grounded findings.
He has resolved multi-party disputes for a number of state government departments in Queensland, New South Wales and South Australia. These include:
- a multi-party dispute involving the Queensland Department of Primary Industry (residents’ complaints of odours from dairy farmer and included an internal dispute between senior officers of the department on policy)
- Queensland Treasury (workplace disputes between senior public servants)
- New South Wales Department of Fair Trading Strata Schemes Commissioner (long standing dispute in caravan park between residents and owner)
- The South Australian Department of Health (dispute in a regional hospital between the medical surgery staff, the surgery nurses, the local private medical practitioners and the hospital board)
- the New South Wales Department of Health North Coast Community Housing Co-operative ( dispute between 30 members of staff)
- the Health Insurance Commission (dispute between commission staff).